We’re including lovely butternut squash to a savory breakfast recipe and I’m not mad about it. This recipe was impressed by my spinach goat cheese quiche with candy potato crust, which has been one in every of my absolute favorites to make through the years, however that quiche has a special taste profile because it’s vegetarian and takes barely extra time to cook dinner.
Fact be advised, a number of years again I keep in mind I had been dreaming about combining bacon and butternut squash for weeks, so I assumed, why not throw it in a simple crustless quiche that may very well be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or hey, even dinner?!
After I was a single woman, I discovered myself consistently consuming eggs for dinner as a result of they’re fast and straightforward to make and an incredible supply of protein. Plus, you’ll be able to pair them with absolutely anything, so I say eggs are acceptable at any meal. Who’s with me?! You’ll be craving this butternut squash quiche with savory bacon and melty cheese all day lengthy.
What’s on this butternut squash quiche?
This butternut squash quiche is made with nourishing substances which you could be at liberty to combine and match to actually make it your individual. Right here’s what you want:
- Butternut squash: this recipe requires cubed roasted butternut squash, which provides a lift of veggies, nutritional vitamins, and a barely candy taste to the quiche.
- Bacon: savory, salty bacon provides protein and simply tastes superb on this recipe. What’s to not love?
- Spinach: this quiche requires a complete bag of spinach that’s merely sauteed in a pan earlier than including. Veggie celebration!
- Eggs: you’ll want 6 massive eggs for the bottom of this recipe.
- Milk: I exploit almond milk in my recipes as a result of that’s what we all the time have readily available, however you should utilize any milk you’d like: skim, 2%, complete, and even cashew milk. Yum.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: there’s one thing fabulous in regards to the mixture of sharp cheddar cheese, bacon, and butternut squash.
Make this quiche your individual
The wonderful thing about home made quiche recipes is which you could just about throw in any of your fav substances to actually make it your individual! Listed below are some nice methods to customise this one:
- Out of butternut squash? Be at liberty so as to add cubed, roasted candy potato.
- For the veggies: combine and match with no matter you will have in your fridge! I feel mushrooms, onions, and/or bell peppers would work effectively.
- For the bacon: you’ll be able to completely omit the bacon to maintain the quiche vegetarian or swap it for turkey bacon and even 3 or 4 sliced hen sausages.
- For the cheese: of course, you should utilize any cheese you’d like. I feel feta crumbles or a smoky gouda could be scrumptious in right here.
Ideas for prepping the butternut squash
You’ll want to take a look at our tutorial on tips on how to lower and peel a butternut squash right here and tips on how to roast butternut squash right here. You even have the choice of sauteeing it on the stovetop — directions could be discovered within the notes part of the recipe.
The best way to make a crustless quiche
A quiche is often made with milk and eggs and poured right into a crust, then baked. Nevertheless, making a crustless quiche works splendidly, and personally, that is how I favor my quiches to be served. Right here’s tips on how to make a crustless quiche:
- First, spray a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray to stop sticking.
- Subsequent, saute all of the veggies you’re utilizing within the recipe and place them within the ready pie pan. For this butternut squash quiche, that is the place you’ll add the cooked bacon!
- Beat eggs, milk and salt and pepper in a bowl, then pour over the sauteed veggies.
- Prime with cheese, if desired.
- Bake till barely golden brown on high, about 35 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then lower into 6 slices and serve instantly with avocado, scorching sauce or salsa.
Make this butternut squash quiche forward of time
You possibly can completely make this recipe forward of time. There are two choices:
- Choice 1: make, however don’t bake. You possibly can place all substances within the pie pan as directed, then cowl and place within the fridge till the following day. If you find yourself prepared, bake as directed.
- Choice 2: bake, then reheat later. Bake the recipe as directed, then cool, cowl with foil and place within the fridge till able to serve. As soon as able to serve, heat within the oven at 350 levels for 15-20 minutes or till heat. You may also microwave it for 1-2 minutes or till scorching. It’s scrumptious both method!
Feeding a crowd?
Be at liberty to double the recipe and bake it in a 9×13 inch pan or two 9-inch pie pans. For those who bake it in a 9×13 inch pan, the bake time might change barely so simply control it and examine about 5 minutes earlier. You’ll realize it’s finished when it’s now not jiggly and the highest is barely golden brown.
What to serve this butternut squash quiche with
If it’s simply me, I’ll eat this with avocado slices and scorching sauce, however when you’re feeding a crowd or making an even bigger breakfast, listed below are a number of recipe pairing options:
Extra breakfast and brunch recipes you’ll love
Get all of my breakfast recipes right here!
I hope you like this butternut squash quiche recipe! For those who make it you should definitely depart a remark and a score so I understand how you preferred it. Get pleasure from, xo!
Butternut Squash Bacon Spinach Quiche
Crustless low carb butternut squash quiche made with tender, savory roasted butternut squash, crispy bacon, nutritious spinach, protein-packed eggs, and sharp cheddar cheese. Good for meal prep or serving in the course of the vacation season!
- 8 slices bacon (or turkey bacon)
- 3 cups roasted cubed butternut squash*
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (5 ounce) bag spinach
- 6 massive eggs
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk (or sub common milk)
- Freshly floor salt and pepper, to style
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Prepare dinner your bacon first. Add bacon to a big skillet or pan and place over medium warmth, cook dinner bacon on either side till crispy and golden brown. If the pan begins to smoke at any level, merely decrease the warmth. I all the time cook dinner my bacon on medium low warmth. As soon as bacon is finished, blot with a paper towel to soak up extra grease, then chop into chew sized items and put aside.
Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Grease a 9 inch pie pan generously with nonstick cooking spray. Add the roasted, cooked cubed butternut squash cubes. Put aside.
Place olive oil a big skillet over place over medium excessive warmth. Add in spinach and cook dinner till spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Add spinach to the ready pan with the butternut squash, then high with chopped bacon.
In a medium bowl, whisk collectively eggs, milk and salt and pepper. Pour egg combination excessive of the spinach and butternut squash. Sprinkle the highest with cheddar cheese, together with an extra sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bake for 35-45 minutes or till the egg units up. Take away from warmth and wait a couple of minutes earlier than slicing into 6 slices. Get pleasure from!
Alternatively, you’ll be able to cook dinner the squash on the range high: Warmth olive oil over medium warmth in a big skillet. Add squash cubes and season with salt and pepper. Prepare dinner, stirring often till the squash is tender, about 10 minutes. To hurry up the cooking time, you’ll be able to cowl the pan and stir each jiffy — simply make certain the warmth isn’t too excessive or your squash will burn.
Serving: 1sliceEnergy: 203calCarbohydrates: 11.9gProtein: 18gFats: 10.6gSaturated Fats: 3.2gFiber: 3.6gSugar: 2.2g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Images by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially printed on October twenty eighth, 2019, and republished on November 14th, 2023.