Discover ways to make the very best mashed potatoes with this simple recipe! Wealthy, creamy, and flavorful, they’re at all times a crowd-pleasing aspect dish.
I can’t share a mashed potatoes recipe with out mentioning my husband Jack. He LOVES home made mashed potatoes, particularly ones which are wealthy, creamy, and flavorful.
I’ve made a lot that he’s preferred prior to now (see these garlic mashed potatoes and these Instantaneous Pot mashed potatoes). However this yr, I lastly made the potatoes he’d been ready for: ones loaded up with butter, milk, and bitter cream.
I’m not kidding once I say that these are the very best mashed potatoes I’ve tried. They’re ultra-rich and blissfully creamy, and the bitter cream provides them a scrumptious tangy kick. They’re simple to make (and make forward!), they usually’re assured to be a crowd pleaser at Thanksgiving or any meal. If not from me, then take it from Jack—you’re going to like this mashed potatoes recipe.
Easy methods to Make Mashed Potatoes
You could find the whole recipe with measurements on the backside of this put up, however for now, I’ll provide you with an outline of the way it goes:
This basic recipe begins with 7 easy substances:
- Potatoes, in fact! 3 kilos yields sufficient for about 8 individuals. Double the recipe when you’re serving extra!
- Garlic – For savory depth of taste.
- Unsalted butter – For richness and buttery taste.
- Milk – It smooths the starchy potatoes into an extremely creamy mash. Use complete milk for the creamiest outcomes.
- Bitter cream – Technically, this ingredient is non-obligatory. In case you skip it, the recipe will nonetheless come out nice. However for the very best mashed potatoes, I extremely advocate folding it in! It makes the taters extra-creamy and provides them a tangy style.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
What are the very best potatoes for mashed potatoes?
I believe Yukon Golds and russets are the very best potatoes for mashing.
- Yukon Gold potatoes are thin-skinned yellow potatoes. I like to mash them as a result of they’ve a creamy texture, wealthy golden coloration, and buttery taste.
- Russet potatoes are white potatoes which are excessive in pure starches. Due to all that starch, they yield fluffy mashed potatoes.
Be happy to make this recipe with both of all these potatoes.
An alternative choice I like is to make use of a mixture of each varieties. The russets assist with fluffiness and the Yukon Golds provide nice taste. It’s a mix that may’t be beat!
My technique for methods to make mashed potatoes couldn’t be easier! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, peel and chop the potatoes. Minimize them into giant chunks—halve smaller Yukon Golds and reduce bigger russets into quarters or sixths. Do your greatest to chop the items to a constant measurement in order that they prepare dinner evenly.
Subsequent, prepare dinner. Place the potatoes and garlic in a big pot and canopy with chilly water by 1 inch. Add a tablespoon of salt, and produce the water to a boil over excessive warmth. Cut back the warmth to medium and gently boil till the potatoes are fork-tender.
How Lengthy to Boil Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes
Once I make this recipe, I typically boil the potatoes for 15 to twenty minutes.
However the timing can range! The potatoes are prepared when you possibly can simply pierce them with a fork. Keep away from undercooking them. In the event that they’re nonetheless agency within the heart, you’ll find yourself with lumpy mashed potatoes!
When the potatoes are tender, drain them right into a colander. Calmly shake to take away extra water, and return the potatoes to the pot.
Lastly, mash! Use a potato masher to partially mash the potatoes. Then, pour within the milk and add the butter, salt, and pepper. Proceed mashing till the potatoes have attain your required consistency (we like them completely easy!). If desired, use a wood spoon or spatula to stir within the bitter cream.
Season to style, including extra butter, bitter cream, and salt and pepper as wanted. Take pleasure in!
Don’t overlook the fixings! We love these potatoes with butter, chives, and salt and pepper on high. You may’t go mistaken with mushroom gravy both.
Easy methods to Retailer Mashed Potatoes
These mashed potatoes maintain nicely in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
You’ve a number of choices for reheating them:
- Within the microwave – Microwave till heated by, stirring each 2 minutes.
- Within the oven – Switch the potatoes to a casserole dish or oven-safe pan. Dot the highest with butter and canopy. Heat in a 350°F oven till heated by, 25 minutes or extra relying on the dimensions and form of your baking dish.
I’ve additionally had success reheating these mashed potatoes utilizing the Hold Heat setting of my Instantaneous Pot. A sluggish cooker would work nicely too!
If the potatoes appear dry after reheating, stir in some melted butter or a splash of milk to loosen them up.
Extra Favourite Potato Recipes
In case you love these home made mashed potatoes, strive considered one of these potato recipes subsequent:
Finest Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 kilos potatoes, russet potatoes, Yukon Golds, or a mixture, peeled and reduce into giant chunks
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, plus extra for serving
- 1 cup complete milk
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt, plus extra for the cooking water
- Freshly floor black pepper
- ¼ to ½ cup bitter cream, non-obligatory
- Chopped contemporary chives, for garnish
Stop your display from going darkish
Place the potatoes and garlic in a big pot and canopy with chilly water by 1 inch. Season the water with a tablespoon of salt.
Convey the water to a boil over excessive warmth, then cut back the warmth to medium and gently boil for 15 to twenty minutes, or till the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and return to the pot.
Start to mash the potatoes and garlic with a potato masher. When they’re partially mashed, add the butter, milk, salt, and several other grinds of pepper. Persevering with mashing till the potatoes attain your required consistency (we like them completely easy), then use a spatula or wood spoon to fold within the bitter cream, if utilizing.
Season to style and serve topped with butter and chives.